Captain America Message Board

May 1997 Archives D



So What You're Actually Saying Is That You Like Cap??? (468)

Posted by Ned Leeds Jr. on May 22, 1997 at 08:12:33 PDT
in reply to AGENT AMERICA : No cheap knockoff . (458), posted by jamie on May 18, 1997 at 19:32:21 PDT

> Dear Readers,

> I respect all of your opinions even if I strongly disagree .
> I couldn't decline on you anymore on this one .
> Agent America is my sixth favorite superhero .

How did you come to give this ranking to a character that hasn't even been published yet???

> I love his costume and his villians .

In other words, you really like the Red Skull's look, but prefer him without any color. Seems to me that this "new" character could have been called "The Skull".

> I realize Agent America isn't exactly a very original
> charctar, but I like him anyway .

Huh??? I'm not sure what you are saying here. You realize that "he's not very original"? He is Captain America. That concept wasn't original 60 years ago when Simon/Kirby came up with it. There were two other existing characters out at the time. How can you like him, if you know nothing of his powers, personality, origin, etc. There has been no info given yet.

> I think what Rob Liefeld ( my second favorite artist ) did
> was really cool, because he got booted off of Cap
> for whatever, and now he's coming back in Marvel's
> face .

I think that one has to really suck to get fired from Marvel. He is not coming back in Marvel's face. He is lazy and undisciplined. This stuff is simply an easy way for him to recycle the worthless trash that Marvel had the sense not to publish. Rob is'nt smart enough to write a good farce, even if he had the idea to....he is simply losing the credibilty that he still has with the last 4 or 5 fans that he still has.

> Marvel I heard, is filing a lawsuit against Liefeld .
> They are just doing this to be a thorn in his side .

Why would a huge corporation want to be a thorn in Liefeld's side???? There is no motivation there. THEY fired HIM. End of story. I can see where he might want to be a thorn in their side, however. By the way, Image is suing him too. Not to be a thorn in his side, but because he owes them big time bucks for using their equipment, colorists, etc.

> Agent America is an excellent superhero no matter
> what anyone says .

I say "no"......What basis do you have for making this statement? Their is no info out on this guy yet.

>
> jamie

Ned




capt america team up (469)

Posted by a dead fan on May 22, 1997 at 09:23:17 PDT

whit about a capt america team up title



Captain America Pewter Statue (470)

Posted by Dave Medinnus on May 22, 1997 at 11:22:58 PDT

In one of my periodic forays through Toys R' Us yesterday I saw the pewter Captain America statues on sale for $24.95 (also the Spidey and Hulk statues). According to the notes on the box, they are supposed to be releaseing three more every eight weeks.

Worth picking up, IMO.

-DM



Shield Dimensions (Re: And another thing!!!) (471)

Posted by David Medinnus on May 22, 1997 at 11:29:44 PDT
in reply to And another thing!!! (465), posted by BATROC on May 20, 1997 at 16:20:56 PDT

>
> >>Back to the size of Cap's Shield. In Cap #227, he was able
> to slip the shield under the front of his chain mail uniform
> and conceal it from a "Red Skull". That makes for a very small shield.
> Harry gave some parameters on the Shield but without a Marvel
> reference. Anybody know the exact dimensions of C.A.'s shield????

According to the MU Handbook, it is 2.5 ft. diameter and weighs 12 lbs; it is made from a unique vibranium/adamantium alloy which has never been duplicated.

-DM



Re: Porcelain Cap statue- where? (472)

Posted by Dave Medinnus on May 22, 1997 at 11:32:14 PDT
in reply to Porcelain Cap statue- where? (459), posted by Charles Nicolosi on May 19, 1997 at 07:34:50 PDT

>
> I saw in a price listing in Combo a couple months ago about a
> Captain America porcelain statue (They also listed a
> Punisher, and several others).

The only porcelain statue I'm aware of was one done in 1991 (I think), as a limited edition, and cost ~75.00 at the time. They have become rather scarce (I've also been looking for one).

Good Luck!

-DM



Re: In re Harry (473)

Posted by David Medinnus on May 22, 1997 at 12:05:02 PDT
in reply to In re Harry (441), posted by Batroc on May 13, 1997 at 17:51:34 PDT


> > From everything that I've read and seen the shield is supposed to be two and a half feet in diameter. Which is a very functional size for a round shield. Though I personally prefer a heater.
> Where did you read that? Also a heater to a Shield? Try fighting
> with only your feet. For that is the way of Honor ...the way
> of Batroc the Leaper!

2.5 ft. diameter is what the MU Handbook says, and they should know... :)

I suspect that the author means a 'heater' shield, which is more of the old knight shields, kinda like this:
____
| |
| |
\ /
\/

I think that 'heater' is Society for Creative Anachronism slang for that kind of design.

-DM




Re: Thanks (474)

Posted by BATROC on May 22, 1997 at 13:44:35 PDT
in reply to Re: In re Harry (473), posted by David Medinnus on May 22, 1997 at 12:05:02 PDT


> > > From everything that I've read and seen the shield is supposed to be two and a half feet in diameter. Which is a very functional size for a round shield. Though I personally prefer a heater.
> > Where did you read that? Also a heater to a Shield? Try fighting
> > with only your feet. For that is the way of Honor ...the way
> > of Batroc the Leaper!
> 2.5 ft. diameter is what the MU Handbook says, and they should know... :)
> I suspect that the author means a 'heater' shield, which is more of the old knight shields, kinda like this:
> ____
> | |
> | |
> \ /
> \/
> I think that 'heater' is Society for Creative Anachronism slang for that kind of design.
> -DM

>>Thanks for the info. I've never read a copy of M.U. I'm also
behind the times in my ananchronisms (pun intended)
BATROC the Leaper



Did I miss something? (475)

Posted by Thomas Chamberlain on May 22, 1997 at 18:44:45 PDT

Well, after much consideration, I decided I wanted my Heroes Reborn to be complete, So I bought "The Liefeld Issues". Then, after going through a spell of not having anything to do, I actually read them. Now, is it just me, or did we skip a story between issue 5 and 6?

Tom



Why the Agent America Heading????????????? (476)

Posted by Jason Fielding on May 22, 1997 at 20:40:40 PDT

I hope Marvel stops Liefeld producing this title or if it does gets made, it flops. I know there are many similar heroes out there but when the main hero, all supporting cast and villans are like Capatin America, his supporting cast and villians is a obvious copying the characters from Marvel. Wouldn't be surprize that if Marvel didn't take away Captain America from Liefeld we probably be reading the Agent America story in Captain America.

Get rid of the Heading!!!!!!!!!!



I bet you're all wondering why the Agent America banner!! (477)

Posted by The Plaid Skull on May 22, 1997 at 20:46:13 PDT

It was a twisted ploy to drive me insane!! It almost worked too!! It's a conspiracy!! It's a bloody conspiracy!! He's after me I tell ya!! He's plotting to get me right this moment!! Geez,I need to get a grip!!


Cya
The Paranoid Plaid Skull


Whenever there is injustice, tyranny, ruthlessness...the Plaid Skull was there!!



Kill me now (478)

Posted by matt on May 22, 1997 at 21:10:30 PDT

My eyes!! They're burning!! Take it away!!
(What the $%^$ is going on here, BTW?)



Re: Kill me now (479)

Posted by The Encrypted Goblin on May 22, 1997 at 21:46:11 PDT
in reply to Kill me now (478), posted by matt on May 22, 1997 at 21:10:30 PDT

SP.7w.TfLfnXU



Re: I bet you're all wondering why the Agent America banner!! (480)

Posted by Ned Leeds Jr. on May 23, 1997 at 07:04:25 PDT
in reply to I bet you're all wondering why the Agent America banner!! (477), posted by The Plaid Skull on May 22, 1997 at 20:46:13 PDT

> It was a twisted ploy to drive me insane!! It almost worked too!! It's a conspiracy!! It's a bloody conspiracy!! He's after me I tell ya!! He's plotting to get me right this moment!! Geez,I need to get a grip!!

>
> Cya
> The Paranoid Plaid Skull

>
> Whenever there is injustice, tyranny, ruthlessness...the Plaid Skull was there!!

...um....I know.....uh...it is a brilliant farce on Marvel ....um...by Dave M......and a take off on Liefeld....um......forget it...



Re: Did I miss something? Yes.....I mean I don't know!!!! (481)

Posted by Onslaught on May 24, 1997 at 23:01:01 PDT
in reply to Did I miss something? (475), posted by Thomas Chamberlain on May 22, 1997 at 18:44:45 PDT


> Well, after much consideration, I decided I wanted my Heroes Reborn to be complete, So I bought "The Liefeld Issues". Then, after going through a spell of not having anything to do, I actually read them. Now, is it just me, or did we skip a story between issue 5 and 6?

> Tom

Some Cable recent Cable issue takes place before Cap #6........I, uh......mean........I didn't read it or anything......I have no idea whatyour talking about....Igottagonow!!!!!!



Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (482)

Posted by Bryan Hurley on May 25, 1997 at 19:48:38 PDT

Well it looks like Marvel isn't the only one who is taking offense at Liefeld's "Agent America". Rumour has it that Joe Simon & the estate of Jack Kirby are also filing a suit against Liefeld for copywright infringement of their character "Fighting American". That really says something about Liefeld. He is currently being sued by Image, Marvel, Simon & Kirby's estate, and he is being investigated by the IRS.

Bryan Hurley



Thanks! One last Question, David... (483)

Posted by Batroc on May 25, 1997 at 21:35:47 PDT
in reply to Shield Dimensions (Re: And another thing!!!) (471), posted by David Medinnus on May 22, 1997 at 11:29:44 PDT

>
> > >>Back to the size of Cap's Shield. In Cap #227, he was able
> > to slip the shield under the front of his chain mail uniform
> > and conceal it from a "Red Skull". That makes for a very small shield.
> > Harry gave some parameters on the Shield but without a Marvel
> > reference. Anybody know the exact dimensions of C.A.'s shield????

> According to the MU Handbook, it is 2.5 ft. diameter and weighs 12 lbs; it is made from a unique vibranium/adamantium alloy which has never been duplicated.
> -DM
>Cap's shield was apparently destroyed in Avengers #35 by the
Living Laser. Did Marvel ever correct this foul up or did they
choose to ignore it? This was around 1966 before Marvel's advent
of vibranium and adamantium. At the time, I believe the shield
was considered to be a finely crafted piece of metal as replacable
as Hawkeye's bow. Any expalnation or information?
BATROC the Leaper.



Re: Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (484)

Posted by Ned Leeds Jr. on May 26, 1997 at 07:02:57 PDT
in reply to Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (482), posted by Bryan Hurley on May 25, 1997 at 19:48:38 PDT

> Well it looks like Marvel isn't the only one who is taking offense at Liefeld's "Agent America". Rumour has it that Joe Simon & the estate of Jack Kirby are also filing a suit against Liefeld for copywright infringement of their character "Fighting American". That really says something about Liefeld. He is currently being sued by Image, Marvel, Simon & Kirby's estate, and he is being investigated by the IRS.

> Bryan Hurley

Don't say that!!!! Liefeld will see it and come up with a team called the IRS and then they will sue him....personally I think that Rob is getting a bum rap!!!!

A Tongue-In-Cheek Ned



Cap (485)

Posted by Befreit Baz on May 26, 1997 at 09:04:42 PDT

Anyone there to tell me where to get movie pics from Cap?



Re: Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (486)

Posted by The Plaid Skull on May 26, 1997 at 09:14:27 PDT
in reply to Re: Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (484), posted by Ned Leeds Jr. on May 26, 1997 at 07:02:57 PDT

> > Well it looks like Marvel isn't the only one who is taking offense at Liefeld's "Agent America". Rumour has it that Joe Simon & the estate of Jack Kirby are also filing a suit against Liefeld for copywright infringement of their character "Fighting American". That really says something about Liefeld. He is currently being sued by Image, Marvel, Simon & Kirby's estate, and he is being investigated by the IRS.

> > Bryan Hurley

> Don't say that!!!! Liefeld will see it and come up with a team called the IRS and then they will sue him....personally I think that Rob is getting a bum rap!!!!

> A Tongue-In-Cheek Ned

Why exactly is Liefield being sued by Image?


Cya
The Plaid Skull


Whenever there is injustice, tyranny, ruthlessness...The Plaid Skull was there!!



Re: Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (487)

Posted by Justice on May 26, 1997 at 10:05:05 PDT
in reply to Re: Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (486), posted by The Plaid Skull on May 26, 1997 at 09:14:27 PDT

> > > Well it looks like Marvel isn't the only one who is taking offense at Liefeld's "Agent America". Rumour has it that Joe Simon & the estate of Jack Kirby are also filing a suit against Liefeld for copywright infringement of their character "Fighting American". That really says something about Liefeld. He is currently being sued by Image, Marvel, Simon & Kirby's estate, and he is being investigated by the IRS.

> > > Bryan Hurley

> > Don't say that!!!! Liefeld will see it and come up with a team called the IRS and then they will sue him....personally I think that Rob is getting a bum rap!!!!

> > A Tongue-In-Cheek Ned

> Why exactly is Liefield being sued by Image?

>
> Cya
> The Plaid Skull

>
> Whenever there is injustice, tyranny, ruthlessness...The Plaid Skull was there!!
He owes them money for use of printing technology, and colorists' services, as well as (I think) some kind of breach of contract issue.



Captain Turbo Coupe (488)

Posted by Cap-Wolf on May 26, 1997 at 12:36:29 PDT

PLEEEEAAAASSSSSEEE, I'M LOOKING FOR A CAPTAIN AMERICA TURBO COUPE IN BOX!!!!!!!!!!!



Captain Turbo Coupe (489)

Posted by Cap-Wolf on May 26, 1997 at 12:37:51 PDT

PLEEEEAAAASSSSSEEE, I'M LOOKING FOR A CAPTAIN AMERICA TURBO COUPE IN BOX!!!!!!!!!!!



Re: Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (490)

Posted by Cosmic Boy on May 26, 1997 at 19:42:55 PDT
in reply to Re: Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (487), posted by Justice on May 26, 1997 at 10:05:05 PDT

> > > > Well it looks like Marvel isn't the only one who is taking offense at Liefeld's "Agent America". Rumour has it that Joe Simon & the estate of Jack Kirby are also filing a suit against Liefeld for copywright infringement of their character "Fighting American". That really says something about Liefeld. He is currently being sued by Image, Marvel, Simon & Kirby's estate, and he is being investigated by the IRS.

> > > > Bryan Hurley

> > > Don't say that!!!! Liefeld will see it and come up with a team called the IRS and then they will sue him....personally I think that Rob is getting a bum rap!!!!

> > > A Tongue-In-Cheek Ned

> > Why exactly is Liefield being sued by Image?

> >
> > Cya
> > The Plaid Skull

> >
> > Whenever there is injustice, tyranny, ruthlessness...The Plaid Skull was there!!

> He owes them money for use of printing technology, and colorists' services, as well as (I think) some kind of breach of contract issue.

I heard about the printing stuff, the colorists' services, and also that he was using Image funds to promote his Maximum Press stuff. Anyone else catch that one?

A guy that works for Wizard posted on USENET awhile back that Rob owes Orange County and the state of California $1.3 million dollars. I don't remember what all for. It will all catch up to him sooner or later.

Cosmic Boy



Re: Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (491)

Posted by Bryan Hurley on May 26, 1997 at 20:32:52 PDT
in reply to Re: Another lawsuit for Liefeld... (490), posted by Cosmic Boy on May 26, 1997 at 19:42:55 PDT

> > > > > Well it looks like Marvel isn't the only one who is taking offense at Liefeld's "Agent America". Rumour has it that Joe Simon & the estate of Jack Kirby are also filing a suit against Liefeld for copywright infringement of their character "Fighting American". That really says something about Liefeld. He is currently being sued by Image, Marvel, Simon & Kirby's estate, and he is being investigated by the IRS.

> > > > > Bryan Hurley

> > > > Don't say that!!!! Liefeld will see it and come up with a team called the IRS and then they will sue him....personally I think that Rob is getting a bum rap!!!!

> > > > A Tongue-In-Cheek Ned

> > > Why exactly is Liefield being sued by Image?

> > >
> > > Cya
> > > The Plaid Skull

> > >
> > > Whenever there is injustice, tyranny, ruthlessness...The Plaid Skull was there!!

> > He owes them money for use of printing technology, and colorists' services, as well as (I think) some kind of breach of contract issue.

> I heard about the printing stuff, the colorists' services, and also that he was using Image funds to promote his Maximum Press stuff. Anyone else catch that one?

> A guy that works for Wizard posted on USENET awhile back that Rob owes Orange County and the state of California $1.3 million dollars. I don't remember what all for. It will all catch up to him sooner or later.

It's for unpaid back taxes. That is the same reason he is under investigation by the IRS. They want to know what else he has been holding back on.




Know why ? (492)

Posted by jamie on May 27, 1997 at 09:36:21 PDT

Dear Readers,

Know why ? Wanna know why this message board is
soooooo boring ?
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that all the new Cap
comics completely suck !

jamie



Who is Liefeld kidding? (493)

Posted by The Mole on May 27, 1997 at 09:47:27 PDT

Is he out of his mind, he got his ass kicked from Avengers and Captain America, now he does this. Lawsuit, more of like the trial of Rob Liefeld. I can see CNN now, Rob Liefeld, sued by Marvel for doing a rip off comic of Captain America, called Agent America. Verdict, Rob is now longer able to do any comics, and his fans spit at him. Venom, is going to be pissed.



Cap'n 4 Sale Cheap (494)

Posted by Eric Vogelsang on May 27, 1997 at 11:36:05 PDT

Captain American used to be one of my favs, but now that I'm older I do
not have the time to read him anymore. I also don't have the storage space anymore. I have issues #310 to the end of the Fighting Chance storyline (#442)? All inclusive - I am missing no issues. Plus - annuals, USAgent, etc;. I will sell these for any reasonable price, and I'd especially love to sell them to a real CAP fan. I'd love to sell the set, but would also sell parts.

American Graffiti to all.
Eric Vogelsang

PS - Just for discussion purposes , I'd like to vote for the Scourge as the best villain of all time.



How could you even think about it? (495)

Posted by Batroc the Leaper on May 27, 1997 at 14:41:25 PDT
in reply to Cap'n 4 Sale Cheap (494), posted by Eric Vogelsang on May 27, 1997 at 11:36:05 PDT

> Captain American used to be one of my favs, but now that I'm older I do
> not have the time to read him anymore. I also don't have the storage space anymore. I have issues #310 to the end of the Fighting Chance storyline (#442)? All inclusive - I am missing no issues. Plus - annuals, USAgent, etc;. I will sell these for any reasonable price, and I'd especially love to sell them to a real CAP fan. I'd love to sell the set, but would also sell parts.
> American Graffiti to all.
> Eric Vogelsang
> PS - Just for discussion purposes , I'd like to vote for the Scourge as the best villain of all time.
Put those Comics back in a temperature controlled comic box. They
aren't eating anything just make sure nothing eats them. If and when
you have kids, you know they will want to read about C.A.
Or maybe you can share them with some young whipper-snapper around
town. I love talking to my friends kids about old comic
storylines.
>Just a thought, I'm full of opinions ...for that is the way of
BATROC the Leaper.



Yawn...... (496)

Posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 14:49:26 PDT
in reply to Know why ? (492), posted by jamie on May 27, 1997 at 09:36:21 PDT

> Dear Readers,
> Know why ? Wanna know why this message board is
> soooooo boring ?
> Maybe it has something to do with the fact that all the new Cap
> comics completely suck !
> jamie
You've offended me. I have really enjoyed this free of charge
message board. Ask not what your message board can do for you, ask what you
can do for your message board. However, I refuse to insult you for
I am a man of honor..Batroc.......



Re: Thanks! One last Question, David... (497)

Posted by Dave Medinnus on May 27, 1997 at 15:20:28 PDT
in reply to Thanks! One last Question, David... (483), posted by Batroc on May 25, 1997 at 21:35:47 PDT


> Cap's shield was apparently destroyed in Avengers #35 by the
> Living Laser. Did Marvel ever correct this foul up or did they
> choose to ignore it? This was around 1966 before Marvel's advent
> of vibranium and adamantium. At the time, I believe the shield
> was considered to be a finely crafted piece of metal as replacable
> as Hawkeye's bow. Any expalnation or information?

I remember reading a weaselly bit about how at that time Stark was trying to improve the shield, putting circuitry inside a titanium replica so that Cap could control it with some wierdo forearm magnet-thingies. Cap said that they threw the balance of the shield off, so he went back to his normal adamantium/vibranium alloy shield.

It was postulated that the shield destroyed by the Living Laser was one of those Stark-experimental versions.

This was historically accurate, since in the Tales Of Suspense there were a couple of stories where they showed the magno-thingies. Another story had prison inmates trying to get the shield because its electronics were the keys to the front gate, or somesuch. Ahhh, Golden Age psuedo-science!

-DM



Re: Yawn...... (498)

Posted by Rob on May 27, 1997 at 16:28:35 PDT
in reply to Yawn...... (496), posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 14:49:26 PDT


> > Dear Readers,
> > Know why ? Wanna know why this message board is
> > soooooo boring ?
> > Maybe it has something to do with the fact that all the new Cap
> > comics completely suck !
> > jamie

> You've offended me. I have really enjoyed this free of charge
> message board. Ask not what your message board can do for you, ask what you
> can do for your message board. However, I refuse to insult you for
> I am a man of honor..Batroc.......

Actually, the board has seemed pretty boring this month. I really dug this room when I first found out about it, but now it is being filled up with a bunch of pointless posts, in my opinion. (I, for one, have nothing to say about Rob Liefeld. Too easy a target. Besides, I've never read his stuff to begin with!)

Hey, Batroc, I thought you were going to dig up a trivia question for us after solving my one about Nomad meeting the Avengers. In the weeks that have passed, I've been purchasing many more back issues of Cap and The Avengers, so each day you wait is a day I am better armed with knowledge.... (Truth be told, I haven't made much of a dent in the ones I've gotten recently...)

Best Cap comic I've bought & read this month: His guest-appearence in a 1990 Daredevil comic. Neat self-contained story and interesting take on Cap. Cool scene with Cap & Daredevil sitting on a porch talking philosophy. Anybody here read that one?

Later,
Rob



Re: Who is Liefeld kidding? (499)

Posted by TLesch on May 27, 1997 at 17:01:42 PDT
in reply to Who is Liefeld kidding? (493), posted by The Mole on May 27, 1997 at 09:47:27 PDT


> Is he out of his mind, he got his ass kicked from Avengers and Captain America, now he does this. Lawsuit, more of like the trial of Rob Liefeld. I can see CNN now, Rob Liefeld, sued by Marvel for doing a rip off comic of Captain America, called Agent America. Verdict, Rob is now longer able to do any comics, and his fans spit at him. Venom, is going to be pissed.

> Mole, this whole debacle only proves what comic collectors have known for awhile. Rob, apparently, suffers from his own immaturity. He came into a business which is now so market-driven, it is self-destructing. He became a flashy rock-star in a business desperate to sell something. But once the novelty wore off, fans woke up. We are only now beginning to get back to good stories combined with good art (and I don't mean the current spate of artists ripping off Manga). Rob, who once could boast about being self-taught, now suffers because of it. He produces incomplete, lackluster work that is bound to rip-off the work of others because there isn't time enough to do something with real thought behind it. Add to that an ego that apparantly is unyielding and unrepentant; look at his reaction every time people distance themselves from him; THEY are the jerks, THEY are the people who don't know good comics. If Rob truly admired Javck Kirby, he would emulate him; because Kirby was class and hard work all the way. You can't shortcut in this industry. But Rob has not learned yet. I know; I met him at a signing for Deathmate. He treated everyone like they were beneath him. Jim Lee, on the other hand, was soft-spoken, gracious, and thanked every fan he saw. Standards have to be raised; otherwise a day will come when we won't have comics to enjoy anymore. Unfortunately, I can't even read most of today's "new" breed of comics without some glaring typo. This makes comic creators look DUMB, folks. Don't be afraid to speak up about people like Rob. It's the only way we will get great comics, especially great CAP stories.



To Rob with Malice (500)

Posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 20:32:36 PDT

Go ahead and side with Jamie. You got to admit the guy is
unusual. Maybe it's just me.
>>>I bought a beat up copy of Avengers #35 which features the
apparent destruction of Cap's shield by the Living Laser. That was
going to be your triv question, but I got excited and asked Medinnus
for a M. U. explanation. I'm sure he's got the answer.
O.K. here is an easy question for you.
***Name the first appearance of Sharon Carter A.K.A. Agent #13.
HINT: It also features the debut of one of my favorite villians.
Don't overdose on the stale paper. BATROC.....



Re: To Rob with Malice (501)

Posted by Roscoe on May 27, 1997 at 20:48:45 PDT
in reply to To Rob with Malice (500), posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 20:32:36 PDT

> Go ahead and side with Jamie. You got to admit the guy is
> unusual. Maybe it's just me.
> >>>I bought a beat up copy of Avengers #35 which features the
> apparent destruction of Cap's shield by the Living Laser. That was
> going to be your triv question, but I got excited and asked Medinnus
> for a M. U. explanation. I'm sure he's got the answer.
> O.K. here is an easy question for you.
> ***Name the first appearance of Sharon Carter A.K.A. Agent #13.
> HINT: It also features the debut of one of my favorite villians.
> Don't overdose on the stale paper. BATROC.....

Hmmm, was that in ToS #75?

-Roscoe



What the H-E-Double tooth picks (502)

Posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 20:52:10 PDT
in reply to Re: Thanks! One last Question, David... (497), posted by Dave Medinnus on May 27, 1997 at 15:20:28 PDT


> > Cap's shield was apparently destroyed in Avengers #35 by the
> > Living Laser. Did Marvel ever correct this foul up or did they
> > choose to ignore it? This was around 1966 before Marvel's advent
> > of vibranium and adamantium. At the time, I believe the shield
> > was considered to be a finely crafted piece of metal as replacable
> > as Hawkeye's bow. Any expalnation or information?
> I remember reading a weaselly bit about how at that time Stark was trying to improve the shield, putting circuitry inside a titanium replica so that Cap could control it with some wierdo forearm magnet-thingies. Cap said that they threw the balance of the shield off, so he went back to his normal adamantium/vibranium alloy shield.
> It was postulated that the shield destroyed by the Living Laser was one of those Stark-experimental versions.
> This was historically accurate, since in the Tales Of Suspense there were a couple of stories where they showed the magno-thingies. Another story had prison inmates trying to get the shield because its electronics were the keys to the front gate, or somesuch. Ahhh, Golden Age psuedo-science!
> -DM
>Why would Cap fight the Living Laser with a titanium shield when
he has a perfectly good indestructable one? Incidentally, I don't
think Cap ever used his magnetic doo dads in any issue of Avengers.
I guess I was hoping Marvel would simply say they goofed. (Yeah Right)
Now, Roy Thomas could think up some retro explanation but I'm sure
nobody really cares. Thanks for the explanation though.
BATROC>>>>>



Is your name Rob? (503)

Posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 21:07:37 PDT
in reply to Re: To Rob with Malice (501), posted by Roscoe on May 27, 1997 at 20:48:45 PDT

> > Go ahead and side with Jamie. You got to admit the guy is
> > unusual. Maybe it's just me.
> > >>>I bought a beat up copy of Avengers #35 which features the
> > apparent destruction of Cap's shield by the Living Laser. That was
> > going to be your triv question, but I got excited and asked Medinnus
> > for a M. U. explanation. I'm sure he's got the answer.
> > O.K. here is an easy question for you.
> > ***Name the first appearance of Sharon Carter A.K.A. Agent #13.
> > HINT: It also features the debut of one of my favorite villians.
> > Don't overdose on the stale paper. BATROC.....
> Hmmm, was that in ToS #75?
> -Roscoe
Roscoe, now you rear your enigmatic head. Rob can't afford copies
of T.O.S.!!! He would have been looking for ever. Oh well, Medinnus
would have bailed him out anyway. NOW>>>
What villian debuted in TOS #75???????
ZE LEPAIR



To Roscoe with Malice and any else that wants some! (504)

Posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 21:21:07 PDT


>>>>>The gloves are off Roscoe. Name the first ever appearance of
unrequited love interest and often Cap antagonist Contessa Valentina
Allegro De Fountaine. Don't sniff too much Mylar!!!
Batroc The LEAPER!



Is your name Rob? (505)

Posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 21:26:58 PDT
in reply to Re: To Rob with Malice (501), posted by Roscoe on May 27, 1997 at 20:48:45 PDT

> > Go ahead and side with Jamie. You got to admit the guy is
> > unusual. Maybe it's just me.
> > >>>I bought a beat up copy of Avengers #35 which features the
> > apparent destruction of Cap's shield by the Living Laser. That was
> > going to be your triv question, but I got excited and asked Medinnus
> > for a M. U. explanation. I'm sure he's got the answer.
> > O.K. here is an easy question for you.
> > ***Name the first appearance of Sharon Carter A.K.A. Agent #13.
> > HINT: It also features the debut of one of my favorite villians.
> > Don't overdose on the stale paper. BATROC.....
> Hmmm, was that in ToS #75?
> -Roscoe
Roscoe, now you rear your enigmatic head. Rob can't afford copies
of T.O.S.!!! He would have been looking for ever. Oh well, Medinnus
would have bailed him out anyway. I'm going to pay you back for
disrespecting my triv question. So let it be written, so let it
Be done!!!!BATROC the LEAPER>>>>



Re: To Batroc with No Malice (506)

Posted by Rob on May 27, 1997 at 22:36:06 PDT
in reply to To Roscoe with Malice and any else that wants some! (504), posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 21:21:07 PDT


>
> >>>>>The gloves are off Roscoe. Name the first ever appearance of
> unrequited love interest and often Cap antagonist Contessa Valentina
> Allegro De Fountaine. Don't sniff too much Mylar!!!
> Batroc The LEAPER!

Well, according to Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, Vol. 1, No. 10, p. 3, she first appeared in Strange Tales #159...No, I don't think I have that issue...I might have a reprint of it somewhere, though.

By the way, I do have several issues of Tales of Suspense (including first appearance of Hawkeye and first Cap appearance in T.O.S. where he battles Iron Man) as well as several T.O.S. reprints in Marvel Double Feature.

Gee, i step away from the computer for a sec and things go crazy on this page, I see...

I've been a bit reluctant to post any additional trivia questions on the board for fear my information (sometimes relying on reprints of the originals) may be inaccurate or incomplete...

Rob



Re: To Batroc with No Malice (507)

Posted by Roscoe on May 27, 1997 at 23:32:30 PDT
in reply to Re: To Batroc with No Malice (506), posted by Rob on May 27, 1997 at 22:36:06 PDT

>
> >
> > >>>>>The gloves are off Roscoe. Name the first ever appearance of
> > unrequited love interest and often Cap antagonist Contessa Valentina
> > Allegro De Fountaine. Don't sniff too much Mylar!!!
> > Batroc The LEAPER!

> Well, according to Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, Vol. 1, No. 10, p. 3, she first appeared in Strange Tales #159...No, I don't think I have that issue...I might have a reprint of it somewhere, though.

> By the way, I do have several issues of Tales of Suspense (including first appearance of Hawkeye and first Cap appearance in T.O.S. where he battles Iron Man) as well as several T.O.S. reprints in Marvel Double Feature.

> Gee, i step away from the computer for a sec and things go crazy on this page, I see...

> I've been a bit reluctant to post any additional trivia questions on the board for fear my information (sometimes relying on reprints of the originals) may be inaccurate or incomplete...

> Rob

Hmmm. I somehow missed the implication that the Batroc trivia question was aimed. Sorry to have intercepted.
On the other hand, Contessa? C'mon, she's a Nick Fury character. Sure the SHIELD people all got dumped after SHIELD was cancelled in 1970 or whatever, but as far as I'm concerned they still don't count as Cap people (unless they were created for and in Cap, like Gail Runciter or whoever).
So if you want we to answer Cap trivia, bring it on.

-Roscoe

who has a complete run of Cap, even the TOS issues #58-99. And a set of Avengers too, so don't try that either. (and who likes to talk about it apparantly)



Six Trivia Questions for anyone (508)

Posted by Rob on May 27, 1997 at 23:57:16 PDT
in reply to Re: To Batroc with No Malice (507), posted by Roscoe on May 27, 1997 at 23:32:30 PDT


> Hmmm. I somehow missed the implication that the Batroc trivia question was aimed. Sorry to have intercepted.
> On the other hand, Contessa? C'mon, she's a Nick Fury character. Sure the SHIELD people all got dumped after SHIELD was cancelled in 1970 or whatever, but as far as I'm concerned they still don't count as Cap people (unless they were created for and in Cap, like Gail Runciter or whoever).
> So if you want we to answer Cap trivia, bring it on.

> -Roscoe

> who has a complete run of Cap, even the TOS issues #58-99. And a set of Avengers too, so don't try that either. (and who likes to talk about it apparantly)


C'mon, Val is a Cap character...so is Nick Fury...Nick moreso, obviously,
but I liked those issues around #145-169 where Val appeared. You would consider Rick Jones a Cap character, wouldn't you? Sure, he didn't first appear in Cap, but he played an important role in Cap's life from Avengers #4 thru those Steranko issues.

I'm working on completing my Cap collection, after about seven years or so of not adding one issue to it. So far I only need to get around 50 issues to have every issue from #100 to present.

Okay, so here's some Cap trivia...

1.) What kind of milk does Cap like to drink?

2.) Rick Jones gave up being Bucky when he confronted Cap in an alley and Cap attacked him. Rick went over to Avengers Mansion and gave up being Bucky. What issue did this occur in?

3.) Cap decided to quit being Captain America after the Secret Empire incident in the 1970s... What were the last villain(s) Cap fought before giving up his Cap identity?

4.) Did Falcon ever appear with the Avengers when he wore his original green costume?

5.) When was Zemo first referred to as Baron Zemo? What was he called before then?

6.) What is the name of Sam Wilson's cat?

Okay, that last one is an easy one...Maybe this will keep us busy for awhile...(maybe not, you guys are good)...and I'll have to double-check my sources as I wait for the replies!

Rob




Triv Answers and Comments (509)

Posted by Batroc the Leaper on May 28, 1997 at 06:07:30 PDT

>>>Hey, I have complete run of Cap TOS 58-99 and a complete run
of Cap #100 and up. But that damned MU handbook is destroying
my good triv questions. For in truth The Contessa did debut
in Strange Tales #159 which featured Cap v. Nick Fury (Steranko
Art)
>>>Now the Answers to the six triv questions
1.) Cap's been known to have goat's milk in his fridge
2.) The Skull under the guise of Cap confronted Rick in CA #116
and Rick hangs it up a psuedo-Bucky in Cap#118 (Which conicides
with the appearance of another Cap partner --The Falcon)
3.) Cap fought Moonstone and Number #1 in issue 175. He also had
dealings with Solarr and Claw in Avengers #126
4.) Falcon in Green Uniform appears in Avengers #88
5.) I'm weak on this one. I don't have Avengers #15 and #16 (not
even a Marvel Triple Action Reprint). But Zemo was just called Plain
ole Zemo until Avengers #56. Now the Bogus Zemo was Referred to as
Baron In TOS #99.
6.) Sam Wilson's Cat was called FIGARO
>>>>I had to sniff Mylar to answer these. I need a MU handbook, but
I am a man of honair, I am BATROC the LEPAIR>



Magno-Shield! (510)

Posted by Roscoe on May 28, 1997 at 09:22:02 PDT
in reply to What the H-E-Double tooth picks (502), posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 20:52:10 PDT

>
> > > Cap's shield was apparently destroyed in Avengers #35 by the
> > > Living Laser. Did Marvel ever correct this foul up or did they
> > > choose to ignore it? This was around 1966 before Marvel's advent
> > > of vibranium and adamantium. At the time, I believe the shield
> > > was considered to be a finely crafted piece of metal as replacable
> > > as Hawkeye's bow. Any expalnation or information?
> > I remember reading a weaselly bit about how at that time Stark was trying to improve the shield, putting circuitry inside a titanium replica so that Cap could control it with some wierdo forearm magnet-thingies. Cap said that they threw the balance of the shield off, so he went back to his normal adamantium/vibranium alloy shield.
> > It was postulated that the shield destroyed by the Living Laser was one of those Stark-experimental versions.
> > This was historically accurate, since in the Tales Of Suspense there were a couple of stories where they showed the magno-thingies. Another story had prison inmates trying to get the shield because its electronics were the keys to the front gate, or somesuch. Ahhh, Golden Age psuedo-science!
> > -DM
> >Why would Cap fight the Living Laser with a titanium shield when
> he has a perfectly good indestructable one? Incidentally, I don't
> think Cap ever used his magnetic doo dads in any issue of Avengers.
> I guess I was hoping Marvel would simply say they goofed. (Yeah Right)
> Now, Roy Thomas could think up some retro explanation but I'm sure
> nobody really cares. Thanks for the explanation though.
> BATROC>>>>>


Cap did use his magnetic doo-dads in Avengers; in fact, they first showed up at the beginning of an issue (#6 I believe it is). Thank goodness they dropped that garbage.

-Roscoe



Re: Triv Answers Winner is Batroc! (511)

Posted by Rob on May 28, 1997 at 10:21:22 PDT
in reply to Triv Answers and Comments (509), posted by Batroc the Leaper on May 28, 1997 at 06:07:30 PDT


> >>>Hey, I have complete run of Cap TOS 58-99 and a complete run
> of Cap #100 and up. But that damned MU handbook is destroying
> my good triv questions. For in truth The Contessa did debut
> in Strange Tales #159 which featured Cap v. Nick Fury (Steranko
> Art)
> >>>Now the Answers to the six triv questions
> 1.) Cap's been known to have goat's milk in his fridge

Correct! When i saw that as a kid, back in #237, I really wanted to try goat's milk, since my favorite hero liked it!

> 2.) The Skull under the guise of Cap confronted Rick in CA #116
> and Rick hangs it up a psuedo-Bucky in Cap#118 (Which conicides
> with the appearance of another Cap partner --The Falcon)

Well, yes...I was thinking of Captain Marvel #17 (reprinted in Giant-Size Capt Marvel #1) where Rick (as Bucky) confronts Cap (as Skull) in an alley, and Cap attacks Bucky, physically...so Bucky walks over to Avengers mansion, hangs up his uniform & splits for good. But there is a footnote for Cap Marvel #17 in the pages of Cap A #118, so you would have gotten it anyway if I'd prolonged it...!


> 3.) Cap fought Moonstone and Number #1 in issue 175. He also had
> dealings with Solarr and Claw in Avengers #126

Yes, I was thinking of Solarr and Claw...I think they are chronilogically the final villains he fought before giving up as Cap. At the end of that avengers issue, Cap ponders if that will be his last battle, in fact.

> 4.) Falcon in Green Uniform appears in Avengers #88

Sounds right... I don't have the exact issue...it was the Harlan Ellison Hulk-Avengers cross-over, I think.

> 5.) I'm weak on this one. I don't have Avengers #15 and #16 (not
> even a Marvel Triple Action Reprint). But Zemo was just called Plain
> ole Zemo until Avengers #56. Now the Bogus Zemo was Referred to as
> Baron In TOS #99.

Correct!! I think previously Zemo had just been called Zemo or Doctor Zemo, not Baron Zemo.

> 6.) Sam Wilson's Cat was called FIGARO

Correct again!

> >>>>I had to sniff Mylar to answer these. I need a MU handbook, but
> I am a man of honair, I am BATROC the LEPAIR>


Congratulations, Batroc!!!



Agent America lawsuit!!!! (512)

Posted by Kid Yoda on May 28, 1997 at 14:09:13 PDT

It took him long enough, but Joe simon, Creator of Fighting American, is suing Rob for copywrite infringment.



Re: Agent America lawsuit!!!! (513)

Posted by TLesch on May 28, 1997 at 16:54:25 PDT
in reply to Agent America lawsuit!!!! (512), posted by Kid Yoda on May 28, 1997 at 14:09:13 PDT

> It took him long enough, but Joe simon, Creator of Fighting American, is suing Rob for copywrite infringment.

Good! These aging creators have been screwed enough over the years. Dum-dum Rob is begging for it, making this "new" hero look enough like Cap AND Fighting American to get sued by 2 entities. Not very bright, no indeedy. I hear the voice in court right now..."But..but...it was a SATIRE, Judge!" Personally, I'm surprised DC doesn't sue over Supreme. How much of a Superman rip-off is that?



Here is your Message Board Back! (514)

Posted by Batroc the Leaper on May 28, 1997 at 20:07:41 PDT

Guys, I got a little carried away last and made alot of posts. I
guess I had too much caffeine in my system. I did beat Roscoe
to answer the 6 triv questions, but I'm sure he has a life to attend
to.
>By the way Roscoe, I hope that you realize that 99% of my
posts are injected with dripping sarcasm. That probably doesn't
come through with the typed letter. However, I will be searching
for a Cap triv question for you that isn't easily found in the MU
handbook.
>and Rob, Sam Wilson's cat? That's was a tough one. Remember
Steve Englehart's Falcon? How did he keep his secret identity.
There is a huge Red Falcon on his window ledge, and he is a
muscular Black Man who cavorts with the Fallcon's
girlfriend Leila. No wonder the writer's of Cap later made him
go public.



Re: Triv Answers Winner is Batroc! (515)

Posted by Dave Medinnus on May 29, 1997 at 11:04:57 PDT
in reply to Re: Triv Answers Winner is Batroc! (511), posted by Rob on May 28, 1997 at 10:21:22 PDT


{Answers deleted}

I am in awe! Well done!

-DM



Re: Is your name Rob? (516)

Posted by Dave Medinnus on May 29, 1997 at 11:09:05 PDT
in reply to Is your name Rob? (505), posted by Batroc on May 27, 1997 at 21:26:58 PDT


> Oh well, Medinnus would have bailed him out anyway.

Maybe I would...and maybe I wouldn't have... :-P

-DM



I have a question!! (517)

Posted by The Plaid Skull on May 29, 1997 at 16:27:00 PDT

How many incarnations of Union Jack are there so far? How did all the previous Union Jack's die anyway?


Cya
The Plaid Skull


Whenever there is injustice, tyranny, ruthlessness...The Plaid Skull was there!!



Re: I have a question!! (518)

Posted by Batroc on May 29, 1997 at 21:09:48 PDT
in reply to I have a question!! (517), posted by The Plaid Skull on May 29, 1997 at 16:27:00 PDT

> How many incarnations of Union Jack are there so far? How did all the previous Union Jack's die anyway?

> Cya
> The Plaid Skull

> Whenever there is injustice, tyranny, ruthlessness...The Plaid Skull was there!!
>You just knew I would answer this didn't you Plaidy. What the Heck
I still got my comics laying around from answering the triv questions.
According to my Invader Knowledge and the Classic Cap#254,
there were three Union Jack's, the first was Lord Falsworth who
fought in WWI and briefly with the Invaders until being severely
wounded battling Baron Blood. Shortly there after his son Brian
assumed the mantle, he was semi-active until his death in 1953. In #254,
A friend of the family Joey Chapman became Union Jack in a ruse to
bring Baron Blood into the open. After Baron Blood was beheaded by
Cap, Union Jack I (Lord Falsworth) died apparently of a weak heart.
Since that time, no Union Jack in Cap. But I don't read Excaliber
or every title Marvel publishes anymore. For that is the way of
honor, the way of BATROC the Leaper.



WOW! (519)

Posted by Batroc on May 29, 1997 at 21:12:58 PDT
in reply to Re: Triv Answers Winner is Batroc! (515), posted by Dave Medinnus on May 29, 1997 at 11:04:57 PDT


> {Answers deleted}
> I am in awe! Well done!
> -DM
Coming from you that means alot.
I still don't have a MU Handbook.
>>The Leaper.



If Rob were to ... (520)

Posted by Dirty Dave on May 29, 1997 at 21:21:46 PDT

If Liefeld were to screw with Supes, he'd name him " Superguy "
and give him a crappy looking " S " sign . He'd probably give
him a real long cape and Superguy would live in Betropolis
and his woman's name would be Bogus Bane, with a brain
tumor . His alter ego would be Kurk Kane .



Re: I have a question!! (521)

Posted by Batroc on May 29, 1997 at 21:39:07 PDT
in reply to Re: I have a question!! (518), posted by Batroc on May 29, 1997 at 21:09:48 PDT

>Almost forgot Union Jack II died in an automobile accident in
1953 long before airbags. BATROC



Re: If Rob were to ... (522)

Posted by jamie on May 29, 1997 at 21:57:38 PDT
in reply to If Rob were to ... (520), posted by Dirty Dave on May 29, 1997 at 21:21:46 PDT

Dave,

You are being an immature person . Just because you don't
like Rob Liefeld and Agent America doesn't mean you have
to be a wise guy smart aleck .
Why don't you grow up ?

jamie



Re: I have a question!! (523)

Posted by The Plaid Skull on May 30, 1997 at 07:45:37 PDT
in reply to Re: I have a question!! (521), posted by Batroc on May 29, 1997 at 21:39:07 PDT

> >Almost forgot Union Jack II died in an automobile accident in
> 1953 long before airbags. BATROC
>
>

Didn't he have the power to shoot electricity out of his hands? And didn't he have a friend who became a super-powered nazi agent?


Cya
The Plaid Skull



Re: If Rob were to ... (524)

Posted by Bryan Hurley on May 30, 1997 at 09:36:30 PDT
in reply to If Rob were to ... (520), posted by Dirty Dave on May 29, 1997 at 21:21:46 PDT

> If Liefeld were to screw with Supes, he'd name him " Superguy "
> and give him a crappy looking " S " sign . He'd probably give
> him a real long cape and Superguy would live in Betropolis
> and his woman's name would be Bogus Bane, with a brain
> tumor . His alter ego would be Kurk Kane .

Actually he'd name him Supreme.

Bryan Hurley



Whew! You're getting over my head. (525)

Posted by Batroc on May 30, 1997 at 11:24:59 PDT
in reply to Re: I have a question!! (523), posted by The Plaid Skull on May 30, 1997 at 07:45:37 PDT

> > >Almost forgot Union Jack II died in an automobile accident in
> > 1953 long before airbags. BATROC
> >
> >
> Didn't he have the power to shoot electricity out of his hands? And didn't he have a friend who became a super-powered nazi agent?

> Cya
> The Plaid Skull
My Invader's stash is at my Mom's. I'm a little vague on this. Union
Jack I was a costumed athlete who relied upon a pistol and a dagger.
The son started out the same way after a brief stint as the Destroyer.
It seems like he might have gained that power. Maybe from a blood
transfusion with the Android Torch. His sister got a Blood Transfusion
from Torchie and gained Super Speed, but this power went away as time
passed.
> I'm also a little vague on the friend that was a Nazi. I'll get
my stash next time I,m home.***I'm for bringing back the Invaders,
and I've posted this on the Avengers Board. This would be a perfect
project for Roy Thomas. ---Batroc



Re: If Rob were to ... (526)

Posted by Ned Leeds Jr. on May 30, 1997 at 11:58:15 PDT
in reply to Re: If Rob were to ... (524), posted by Bryan Hurley on May 30, 1997 at 09:36:30 PDT

> > If Liefeld were to screw with Supes, he'd name him " Superguy "
> > and give him a crappy looking " S " sign . He'd probably give
> > him a real long cape and Superguy would live in Betropolis
> > and his woman's name would be Bogus Bane, with a brain
> > tumor . His alter ego would be Kurk Kane .

> Actually he'd name him Supreme.

> Bryan Hurley

touche



Re: I have a question!! (527)

Posted by David Medinnus on May 30, 1997 at 12:15:23 PDT
in reply to I have a question!! (517), posted by The Plaid Skull on May 29, 1997 at 16:27:00 PDT

> How many incarnations of Union Jack are there so far? How did all the previous Union Jack's die anyway?

I think there have been four of them:

The original (Lord John Falsworth)
His son (Brian Falsworth)
The Other Guy (who used to be the Destroyer, friend of Brian)
Friend of Grandson Of Original (Modern Day)

But these are from 10+ year memories, so the accuracy is somewhat (OK, LOTS) suspect. :)

-DM



Keeping Roy Thomas employed... (528)

Posted by Dave Medinnus on May 30, 1997 at 12:22:38 PDT
in reply to Whew! You're getting over my head. (525), posted by Batroc on May 30, 1997 at 11:24:59 PDT


> ***I'm for bringing back the Invaders,
> and I've posted this on the Avengers Board. This would be a perfect
> project for Roy Thomas.

I cannot help but agree with you; some of my favorite stories were from from the Invaders run (also some of the cheesiest, but that's another story).

Perhaps a series of minis, like the Legend Of Captain America bit done a couple of years ago.

-DM



Re: Keeping Roy Thomas employed... (529)

Posted by Steven G. O'Connell on May 30, 1997 at 13:12:47 PDT
in reply to Keeping Roy Thomas employed... (528), posted by Dave Medinnus on May 30, 1997 at 12:22:38 PDT

>
> > ***I'm for bringing back the Invaders,
> > and I've posted this on the Avengers Board. This would be a perfect
> > project for Roy Thomas.

> I cannot help but agree with you; some of my favorite stories were from from the Invaders run (also some of the cheesiest, but that's another story).

> Perhaps a series of minis, like the Legend Of Captain America bit done a couple of years ago.

> -DM

Roy seems to be doing fine...he's working with Rich Buckler Sr. on a
few projects for CFD.

I'm writing a one-shot Union Jack proposal for Marvel. I want to
utilize the original Union Jack (I know he died in Cap #254, but
he was the best) maybe he didn't really die at the end...maybe his
vital signs were so low nobody could tell until he was taken to the
hospital, a hospital in which bodies were stolen for medical experiments. UJ's is stolen and pumped full of an experimental drug which brings him back to full strength...and reverses the aging process.

What do you think? Hokey or a possibility?

If not, I may make it an untold tale with Agent Axis and Baron Blood.

Let me know...

SteveO

P.S. I think Roy Thomas is one of the best...along with Marv Wolfman,
Chris Claremont & Chuck Dixon.



Retro UJ (530)

Posted by Batroc on May 30, 1997 at 15:12:42 PDT
in reply to Re: Keeping Roy Thomas employed... (529), posted by Steven G. O'Connell on May 30, 1997 at 13:12:47 PDT

>
I always liked Union Jack and I was a little upset that Thomas
left him out of the last mini-series. On your one-shot, why don't
you retro back to WWI? We know Union Jack had dealings with Baron
Blood during the Great War and he probably had alot of adventures.
You could put him in the trenches of France (there would be enough
blood and gore there to satisfy anyone)
How about him running into a young corporal with a funny moustache
and sparing his life. Note: I don't know if A.H. had the moustache
in WWI. Other WWI foes could be Arnim Zola (He's ancient) the
Yellow Claw, or create some sort of Bloody Hun character.
Keep in mind, I've never published sh%#, and my English professor
said I had no imagination. But they probably told Rob Liefield the
same thing and he is doing o.k. BATROC the Leaper.........



Re: I have a question!! (531)

Posted by The Plaid Skull on May 30, 1997 at 16:00:07 PDT
in reply to Re: I have a question!! (527), posted by David Medinnus on May 30, 1997 at 12:15:23 PDT

> > How many incarnations of Union Jack are there so far? How did all the previous Union Jack's die anyway?

> I think there have been four of them:

> The original (Lord John Falsworth)
> His son (Brian Falsworth)
> The Other Guy (who used to be the Destroyer, friend of Brian)
> Friend of Grandson Of Original (Modern Day)

> But these are from 10+ year memories, so the accuracy is somewhat (OK, LOTS) suspect. :)

> -DM

Yeah,yeah!! Now I remember!! The Grandson of the Original UJ didn't want to become Union Jack so his friend decided to take on the mantle!! I must say that he sucks as Union Jack!! His costume looks horrible!! Looks like a British Judge Dredd!!

Cya
The Plaid Skull


Whenever there is injustice, tyranny, ruthlessness...The Plaid Skull was there!!!



Comic Book Web Site (532)

Posted by Rocketboy on May 30, 1997 at 17:26:03 PDT

Rob Liefeld has cloned Capt. America, and is using his evil creation to attack Marvel! Get the details at .......